- 2 cups plain soy milk, rice milk or almond milk (not sweetened vanilla or chocolate flavors, etc.)
- 15 to 20 grams of protein powder (soy, whey, rice, etc.), measured according to package directions
- 1 cup blueberries or 1 medium banana
- 1 Tablespoon flaxseed oil or essential oil blend
- Add 1 heaping Tablespoon fiber supplement to the above recipe.
- For extra calories and thickness, add 1-2 Tablespoons nut butter to the above recipe.
- For a “green shake”, add powdered spirulina or liquid chlorophyll.
- Add 2-3 ice cubes along with cold fruit and liquid if you want a frosty blend.
- Add 1 cup low fat yogurt in place of one cup of liquid for a thicker shake.
- In lieu of blueberries or banana, use 1 cup fresh fruit of your choice, preferably organic, in-season and locally grown.
- You can combine all the ingredients in the blender (except the protein powder) ahead of time and refrigerate until you are ready to blend in the protein powder and consume it.
Here's to your health!
Resources Ayoob, Keith et al. Healing Foods. 2000. International Masters Publishers.